Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Five Yesterdays in Winston- Salem

Parker and I attended a camp here in Old Salem called Five Yesterdays. It teaches kids what it was like to live here in the mid 1700s and 1800s. There were four groups (by age level) that were named after families in Old Salem. Parker was in the Bloom family and I was in the Vogler family.  Throughout the week I made: applesauce and gingerbread, a bowl, a long strip of tape that we weaved, a flyswatter, and a small bag of lavender. The tape that we made isn't the sticky stuff that we use today. Instead, the weaved yarn is used like ribbon or string to tie things such as bags and pants (an old fashioned belt!). Parker made most of the things that I made, but she sewed a linen bag instead of making a flyswatter. This has inspired her to sew more things, and she's already finished a small pillow!

The last day of Five Yesterdays everyone came together for a lovefeast. A lovefeast is when the Moravian community joins together and sing songs, reads scripture, and eats lovefeast buns to celebrate something. The picture shows Parker and me dressed for the lovefeast.


I really liked the camp and I hope I can do it again someday! We hope everyone is doing well!

From,
Perri      

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, Perri ... sounds like a great week & you girls fit right into the "good old days"!

    ReplyDelete